Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 43: Eldorado, Argentina

My birthday got here pretty qucikly, I guess I'm ready to be 19.. going on two decades. I shall see if there are any nice places to eat around here, I dont think so, haha, we will probably just eat pizza. 

But yeah, there are lots of people that don't know how to read, not as many as Paraguay, but there are a lot. The eduaction system needs a little bit of improvement I think. But my new companion is super cool, I like him a lot, the most humble guy I've ever met. He's from a pretty tiny town called Ayolas, it's near the border of Argentina. His house is in the mission, but he started in the other mission and then ended up in Posadas when the new mission was formed. So he will be taking a collective (bus) home in September when he goes to his house. But he got baptized when he was 15, he's 22 now, and he and his twin brother are serving missions. He has another brother that is 17. But other than that he doesn't have family really, his mom is in Buenos Aires and his dad in another part of Paraguay and he and his brothers kinda worked to support themselves back in their house. So it's pretty impressive for him to have left on a mission. You don't have to send me anything for my birthday, you can send it to my companion if you want, but I'm not really sure if he'll get it before he finishes his mission. 

But wooooooo, Josh is going on a mission!!!  Got the east coast, that'll be cool. Pretty cold I bet. 

And yeah, there was some celebration for the win from Argentina, but there really isn't as much excitement here as I thought there would be, maybe because it's a dead town and everyone already looks pretty beat and sad. But yeah I heard the USA tied and the Netherlands won again, sounds like an exciting World Cup. 

But yeah, the work is going pretty well, kinda slower here I think, not too much member support. But we are finding some nice people, we have some people to teach this week, and we are still teaching a lady named Zulma that's coming to church and reading the Book of Mormon and everything, but still doesnt want to make the decision to get baptized. 

But thanks for the support!! Hope everything is going well up there and that everyone has a good weeeeeek!! 

But one more thing, here in Argentina I can't take out dollars... I dont think, its weird, I'll have to wait till I'm in Paraguay again, or have someone do it for me. I'm not sure if my shoes are going to last my whole mission, we shall see. 

This week I had to travel a little bit, went to Iguazu to do a baptismal interview because they don't have a district leader in their zone to do it, and then we got back at about 4:00 and went to work and at like 6:00 right when its getting dark.  The lights in the whole city went out, and I don't think it's that uncommon, but it was completely pitch black and we couldn't really do anything at all because there wasn't anyone is the street and you could barely see where you were going. There weren't any lights to read or anything, so it was tough to have any lessons. But I realized my area is super super big, we took a random little bus yesterday to see where it took us and we found lots of new parts of the area that have tons and tons of people in them and made it to the Parana River which is really nice. But yeah, so there're lots of people to teach, just gotta keep looking. How is the missionary work in Hagerstown going?? Have a great week!!!

Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment