Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 42: Eldorado, Argentina

Nope we didnt watch any of the Argentina game, we switched our schedule around and studied during the game and worked during our regular study hours. But there were people dancing in the streets, lots of fireworks and horns honking - but here in Eldorado it's pretty chill, it's not a big crazy town so there isn't too much of the crazy stuff going on I dont think. But I actually did see the highlights of the Netherlands game at a member's house during lunch while the tv was on and it was pretty sweet. I got pretty excited, they look pretty good this year. 

And yeah this week was pretty good, lots of rain, and my companion is going to Posadas. My new companion is a guy from Paraguay that I already know pretty well, super super humble from a super poor town and he's really nice, Elder Caceres. So it should be good, I'm excited about it. 

There are some other changes in my zone that are interesting. There shall be a few challenges with some people that aren't exactly super focused on the work, but we shall see. But wow that's crazy in Japan that that many people go home, it must be tough there learning the language and the people not being too receptive. 

The work is pretty good, kinda tough cause I think because everyone took the initiative to just live together and not get married. I honestly can't remember the last time I met a married couple and had a lesson with them, I really can't. And we are trying to help 5 kids that came to church that range from the ages of 11-15 that all smoke and drink, and one that's 14 and has a kid..................... so it's interesting. But I'm very thankful to have grown up in the US and in the church and with parents like you and dad, because it's a little bit different here... its actually really sad. But lots of parents don't really take care of their kids at all, and they all start to drink and smoke at young ages and there are more teenagers pregnant or with kids here than I've ever seen in my life. They all seem to be pretty chill about it, like it's not a big deal, it's kinda depressing. 

And yeah, all the inactives are tough, there are some that want to come back, but are just kinda lazy. Here in El dorado it's a pretty poor town and there are lots of people that don't really work. Well it seems most of the people we talk to don't work a lot, and they don't really do anything... and I think there're lots of people that have fallen into a state of depression- well not really depression, but a state of life being kinda sad and that there really isn't a point to it. I haven't met a single person here that had an answer to what their purpose is in life, and even after we explain it it's tough for them to understand. There are lots of churches here and lots and lots and lots of false weird doctrine... so i guess with saying all that the work here sounds tough, haha, but I've kinda convinced my self that there are people that want to change.  We have found a few, one lady named Maria that totally changed and didn't really believe in God at all before, but now really wants to go to church and be baptized. But her husband doesn't really want to get married, so that's a tough one. But there is a lady, Zulma, who was meeting with the Jehovas Witnesses, and now she says she likes the church of Jesus Christ more, I think she will get baptized here within a month or two.  But yeah, sometimes it's depressing to be here with so many people with problems and stuff, but I've kinda gotten used to it and learned to be happy. But there are lots of people here that work in a big shoe factory and there're people here that work in construction, farming, logging, and stuff like that. It's not a very developed town, but I guess I've only seen the pretty poor parts so far.

And I don't think we are going to get to watch any of the World Cup which is sad, but there will be more World Cups, haha. And I haven't gotten the package from grandmom yet, I hope it didn't get lost, but sometimes it takes a while I guess. But thanks for everything!  Have a great week!!! When are you guys flying out to Utah? What are you planning on doing?? How are the kids?  Is Brother Goodmansen still Young Mens president?? I wanted to send him an email too if you can get it for me. Thanks!! love you!!!!!

Elder Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment